Monday, April 25, 2005

Enduring hardships

I didn't have a nifty camera phone like Luke's with me - in fact, I didn't have any sort of phone with me because I seem to have left it on the floor of the truck in the Aomori Ferry Terminal parking lot - or this would be illustrated with a photo of my dismayed face when I realized that I could either stand in the wind for an hour at in front of U of Hokkaido's branch campus ... or walk an hour into town.

I started walking. And it occured to me that a few days before when my heart had thrilled to the challenge "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God," I must have been planning to pick the hardships myself!

Somehow climbing Mt. Iwaki - when I choose! - is exhilerating even for my middleaged self. But having to walk into Hakkodate carrying a backpack, computer, and a shopping bag because the bus driver of the wrong bus did't have the courtesy to suggest that if I wanted to catch the right bus I might better hustle.

I did get there, Mary was still waiting for me, and I was easily convinced to spend an extra 2 hours with her to rest my blistered feet. So having spent the weekend with 3 (Mary, Yuko, and Anna) of my 5 daughters, I've now forgiven or at least mostly forgotten my unfriendly bus driver.

5 comments:

Luke and Yuko ELLIOT said...

Yes, mom. I've never had a straightforward experience taking the bus FROM the ferry terminal area. For getting TO the ferry terminal I know the schedule, but FROM . . . . I've never walked the distance, though, because I'm not entirely sure of the way and I'd hate to accidently end up walking an extra kilometre (Canadian spelling) or so because of taking a wrong turn.

John Elliot said...

As Bilbo Baggins said, adventures are uncomfortable things while you're having them. Thankfully, the Lord can use for our good.

Laurie Elliot said...

Mary thinks you're right not to attempt walking, Luke. She cited as proof your lengthy excursion of the neighborhood the night you stepped out to buy kerosene for her.

And yes,John, I think Bilbo put it nicely. The best stories usually come from our most uncomfortable experiences.

Anonymous said...

Worth every ache and pain to spend a day with your daughters! Mom loves it when we are all there together and every time we do that, someone says Laurie should be here. Next year, we can be 5 daughters with Mom for the day! Hurray!

Laurie Elliot said...

Yes, its worth every ache and pain. And its nice to spend time as daughter and sister, too.