Saturday, December 16, 2006

Rx for Temptation

This didn't really fit in my last entry - but its just too good to give up altogether!

When faced with temptation I remember Jane Eyre:

“Laws and principles are not for times when there is no temptation: they are for moments such as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have a worth – so I have always believed; and if I cannot believe now, it is because I am insane – quite insane, with my veins running fire, and my heart beating faster than I can count the throbs. Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations are all I have at this hour to stand by; there I plant my foot.”

- From Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre

2 comments:

Luke and Yuko ELLIOT said...

Did Jane Eyre really manage to say all that to somebody without being interupted?

Laurie Elliot said...

She says it to herself. And I wish some other people would say it to themselves!