Tuesday, December 11, 2007

For My Own Benefit

Yesterday in the morning service 4 of the 6 Christmas Carols we sang were unfamiliar but beautiful old European carols.

I love the the familiar carols - "Hark the Herald Angels" for instance. Tonight one of the (long-term) short term missionaries (I think they're called associates) said they sang it at his church last night and he just loved it. He said that if you read your Bible (key) it was just packed with meaning. At that point we all spontaneously broke out singing. I like the second and third verses:

Korean Friend, Naemi, Karl, G, Renee, Japanese Friend


Christ, by highest Heav’n adored;
Christ the everlasting Lord;
Late in time, behold Him come,
Offspring of a virgin’s womb.
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see;
Hail th’incarnate Deity,
Pleased with us in flesh to dwell,
Jesus our Emmanuel.

Hail the heav’nly Prince of Peace!
Hail the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings,
Ris’n with healing in His wings.
Mild He lays His glory by,
Born that man no more may die.
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.

But those old Old World Carols are good, too.

Once He Came In Blessing
Fling Wide the Door
Come, All You Shepherds
Angels at Christmas Tide (I couldn't find this one - I think its Danish.)

I've put these links here mostly for my own benefit. I'm under the impression that my readers seldom follow links. But if the whim strikes you, make sure you're not in the library! (The music starts immediately.)

No comments: