Saturday, March 29, 2008

I miss the Prayer Groups

It seems like OMF Prayer Groups are slowly disappearing. I wonder if they really are?

When people complained about the advancing age of prayer group members it never used to bother us because we figured God had an endless supply of retirees.... after all people are still growing older! But perhaps the idea of praying together for missionaries is fading from the Christian consciousness. And that is a sad thought...

I joined OMF because of the prayer groups and prayer conferences.

An OMF Prayer Group is where I recontacted my friend Bernice Foss. As I walked into that living room in Maine a woman rose to her feet crying "Laurie!"

South Portland OMF Prayer Meeting

Where I met Bernice Foss (again)


Churches are good... but I often feel like the attachment is only on a "until I leave this church" basis, whereas prayer groups often seemed more of "until death do us part" arrangement.

Maybe I'm all wet. But tonight I want all those old people praying for me and for my suffering young friends: for guidance, for their jobs, for their heart affairs, for their faithfulness to God and the body of Christ.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Checked in on the blog - thought I would let you know. In some way that generation's passing will leave big holes in all our lives on all fronts.
On a whole a solid, committed generation. Not sure I could say the same about ours.
Nancy - Northern Calif

Anonymous said...

I pray for you often, and especially when I wake up early or in the middle of the night. Your picture and names also got pasted on prayer reminders for several young children in the junior church service this morning, and hopefully some parents will pray for you along with their children. My friend Diane, (who is about 72) travels once a month to New Jersey for an OMF prayer meeting. I have passed your comment on to her. Perhaps we could start an OMF or general prayer meeting here in Keene, NH -- something I will...well...PRAY ABOUT!

By the way, I can't afford the time to check your blog during the week, but I do enjoy the pictures when I get a chance. What is the best way to respond to you? Through comments, or through email? Email is easier for me, but I can see that you are blogging daily...

-Bresca

Matthew Celestine said...

I am afraid to say I think you are right.

The one in Worcester folded last summer. Those few who attended were very old (apart from me).

It would be nice to form another group, but I just do not have the time and I think I would find it hard to find other people who did. My church does not support any missionaries with OMF.

God Bless

Matthew