Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Advent Candles

I don't love Christmas as Daughter # 4 describes it in NA - driven by consumerism. (Is that the way you see it?) But I love the Advent Season... the slowing of the pace every evening as we pause to reflect in the light of the candles.

Dinner by candlelight

This year we're rereading Andrew Greely's novel "Star Bright: A Christmas Story" about a young Russian woman in Boston...

My husband reading to us from Andrew Greely's book

I laughed (ruefully - I watch too many university students) when we came to this bit:

She removed a tiny bottle of vodka from the a tiny refrigerator...

"We should thank God for this wonderful gift which helps us to relax and celebrate, " she said, "and is a great gift so long as we only have one glass. We pray for those who must drink more than one glass."


It reminds me of these Proverbs:

It is .. not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.

Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.


I wish people would live by these rules at their Christmas/New Year parties.

No comments: