Thursday, February 26, 2009

Happy ending

"After awhile these hot-water bottles are as useful as a half-inch candle on an iceberg."

- Ruth Dix, missionary

China, January 23, 1951

Intrepid

When I read Ruth Dix's words last night I thought of this photo my husband took at the end of January. Its not really been a very cold year - in fact its been downright mild here in Aomori. But our cat clearly feels that we don't keep the house warm enough to suit her! She did actually get down (quickly!) shortly after this photo was taken.

I'm reading Ronald Clements' book "Point me to the Skies" - a book I wish I could share with all my friends who wonder where God is when it hurts. 1951 was a difficult year in China and Ruth Dix was leaving under duress when she spoke those words. But life went on... and there was a happy ending.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth Dix was my great aunt and a very wise woman.

Laurie Elliot said...

What became of her after she left China? The book I mentioned was someone else's story so there was just a passing reference to her.

BTW, thank you so much for writing!

Amanda France said...

I am married to Ruth Dix' great great nephew. After coming across some old photos of her at my mother-in-law's house we are trying to find out more about her. Does anyone know what happened to her?

Laurie Elliot said...

Perhaps you could contact author Ronald Roach through the publisher or try some of the other (younger!) people mentioned in the book. OMF might be able to put you in touch with those still living.

Let me know if you find out more!

Amanda France said...

Thanks , Laurie, will do.

Unknown said...

I would be very I interested to know who the anonymous writer is as Ruth Dix is also my great aunt, i only knew her when I was a child, but lived with her sister Elsie. This is coming to you via my daughter in law as she is more at home with technology than I am. Frances (Angela) Hill.