Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rejoice with those who rejoice

With my many years of cross-cultural experience (first hand and otherwise) I'm afraid I wasn't very encouraging when John first introduced the idea of marrying Emily. Poor man! But I don't really regret my comments. After all, one of our professors told my husband that he shouldn't marry me because I wasn't disciplined enough. That negative comment has had a profoundly positive influence on our marriage! There's nothing like a little opposition to clarify one's commitment.

Congratulations, Emily and John!

So we rejoiced with John and Emily at their engagement ceremony on Sunday and trust they will have as few regrets as we have. (No regrets!)

2 comments:

Ormo said...

It was great that the (available) Elliots could come and join with us! Thanks for coming!

As for advice, all fo the advice you gave me, both directly in email and indirectly while I was in Ajigasawa has really affected how I approached the idea of getting into a relationship and path towards marriage, and I can say without hesitation that the change means I feel confident and ready to be at the stage I am with Emiri! So thank you for your advice! :-)

Laurie Elliot said...

Good! So go for it! And we'll be rooting for you!