Thursday, July 22, 2010

An inconvenience rightly considered

G.K. Chesterton apparently once wrote:

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”

A worthy philosophy! I’ve been sitting in the cafeteria at JFK contemplating last night’s “adventure” ... The bus left Binghampton 50 minutes late – and 50 minutes after they closed the bus station! - putting me in Port Authority at 1 am. There were no buses from Port Authority at that hour. The policemen were not friendly and the taxi drivers were over friendly but I went with a pleasant Egyptian who showed me all his beautiful photos of the NYC while we drove. Terminal # 3 is closed at 2 am but I joined a few others in a small waiting room and caught a few winks on the floor before 4 am when passengers started lining up for the early morning flights.

But I’m alive and well and have had many interesting conversations. I’m sure this is an adventure! J

3 comments:

Tim and Susan said...

Sorry for the hassles...it's all in our perspective. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

You mean the Port Authority in New York? You had problems there again? (^_^) I'm like fifteen minutes from there. You could've shot me a buzz.

Kristoffer

Laurie Elliot said...

Yes, Port Authority again! And since my biggest problem was that I couldn't find a phone booth...

I wanted to phone the (seemingly invisible) company whose website said they did JFK runs 24/7! But there was no phone booth.