Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Some of my favorite photos

Nathan Elliot Smith

I’ve been thinking about God as a refuge and looking up verses about it ever since I quoted this one yesterday.

PR 14:26 He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress,
and for his children it will be a refuge.

Not all of us have parents who fear the Lord. Some of the (now grown-up) children I have in my heart came from fear-full homes. Even for children from “Christian homes” there may come a day when they need to remember”:

PS 27:10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.



I love this photo!

It reminds me of these verses in Isaiah:

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
I will not forget you!
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands...”
Having nursed 5 babies my instinctive reply is a snorted “No way! A baby at the breast can’t be ignored!” And that’s the point – a mother’s love (even when she’s frustrated) is pretty strong but God’s is so much stronger.

And now I remember something else – a baby demands love. Maybe when we don’t “feel” God’s love it’s because we aren’t nuzzling up like a baby and looking for it - where we’re likely to find it!

No comments: