Friday, February 11, 2011

But Not Through Me

Last week I began re-reading a book by one of my favorite authors.

I'd forgotten how good it was. A few of the thoughts that really struck me were:

“The truth shall set you free” may be the most popular university motto across the Western world, but while the text still adorns the walls, the truth no longer animates the minds. (p.11)

Of the two, the postmodern view is unquestionably the more dangerous today – not because it is postmodern, but because it is current. (p.15)

If we live in truth and become people of truth, our primary responsibility will be evident – ourselves. Our overarching life-task will be clear – to seek the truth, speak the truth, and live the truth. And the one effective stand that no one can take from us will be certain – as Solzhenitsyn declared in his Nobel address, “Let the lie come into the world, even dominate the world, but not through me.” (p.19)

- Os Guinness, "Time for Truth"

I like that last paragraph!

How important to realize that"If we live in truth and become people of truth, our primary responsibility will be evident – ourselves."

And how important to determine in our own hearts: 'Let the lie come into the world, even dominate the world, but not through me.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading/following your page.Please keep it coming. Cheers!