Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Don't be afraid

Takayama, Shichigahama - now devastated by the recent tsunami

Why do people like to scare each other?

When something bad happens people like to talk about it and, to be honest, I do, too! But yesterday as the conversation around the table at church started getting dismal I was very conscious of the fact that there is a point of diminishing returns... I tried to introduce a bit of optimism into the conversation by sharing the Bible verses that have been comforting me. But almost as soon as I finished my sentence someone (whom I thought should know better) took it right back to the dark side. Sigh...

Do not lose heart or be afraid when rumors are heard in the land; one rumor comes this year, another the next, rumors of violence in the land and of ruler against ruler. Jeremiah 51:46

God IS in control. We don’t have to scare ourselves with every dark speculation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When things get dismal like that, I try to imagine Paul telling Silas to sing, right after getting beat up, which I always imagined as somewhat comical. And then the prisoners hearing them.

Friends here keeping asking me how I'm doing, but I'd rather not talk or return phone calls. I'm still internalizing everything, and I don't want my words to come out wrong and all kinds of dismal, so I hear you on that.

Kristoffer