Sunday, March 18, 2012

# 20 The Old Ocean Hymns

My husband often talks about the importance of water travel in the 1800s and how it is reflected in the hymnody. (And wonders what happened to trains, planes and cars … why aren’t these modes of transportation reflected in modern hymnody?)

As for me, I love the “ocean hymns.” A few of my favorites are Jesus, Saviour, Pilot MeWe Have An Anchor which I used to sing with my brother while we washed the dishes, and  O The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus – which I love because the tune rolls like the ocean waves!

christ our pilot

Now in the Wycliffe Chapel I’m learning a “new” (really its rather old) ocean hymn I Feel the Winds of God Today:

I feel the winds of God today;
today my sail I lift,
Though heavy, oft with drenching spray,
and torn with many a rift;
If hope but light the water’s crest,
and Christ my bark will use,
I’ll seek the seas at His behest,
and brave another cruise.

It is the wind of God  
that dries my vain regretful tears,
Until with braver thoughts shall rise
the purer, brighter years;
If cast on shores of selfish ease
or pleasure I should be;
Lord, let me feel Thy freshening breeze,
and I’ll put back to sea.

If ever I forget Thy love 
and how that love was shown,
Lift high the blood red flag above;
it bears Thy name alone.
Great pilot of my onward way,
Thou wilt not let me drift;
I feel the winds of God today,
today my sail I lift.

I love that last bit of the first stanza:

If hope but light the water’s crest,
and Christ my bark will use,
I’ll seek the seas at His behest,
and brave another cruise.

It reminds me of Psalm 18:28 “You, LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.”

I often feel the way is rather dark and then God turns that darkness into light … and I can “brave another cruise.”

No comments: