Thursday, February 14, 2013

The First Day of Lent

The first day of Lent is over and, sadly, I still haven’t decided what to do this year. I’ve been thinking all day.

Last year I chose to blog my blessings and, in so doing, to focus my attention on my rich condition in Christ. Until this morning I planned to do the same this year. But after Daughter # 4 put a damper on that plan, “Everyone does that!”

So I thought through some other possibilites. For a few moments this evening I really thought I would blog about “Logos” … words, the Word.

I like this idea but it requires more time and energy than I’ve got this year. I’m still in Sapporo where I have been helping out for the last month after Daughter # 1’s fourth child hurtled into this world two weeks early.

Ditto for an idea that flitted across my mind a few days ago when I was reading Henry Drummond’s essay “The Programme of Christianity.”

I keep coming back to the blessing the theme – with a twist. Afterall, Lent is about sacrifice and Hebrews 13:15 tells us: “Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.”

And since so many of the sacrifices were eaten together in community, I think I want to write about Blessings of the Table.

P1040269

The night is wearing on and the children in this house rise early so I guess I’ll sleep on it.

1 comment:

CallingForth said...

If you would like to follow through on the Word - Words idea do read a 'small' book by Barbara Brown Taylor titled, When God is Silent...many interesting insights!

Blessings as your live faithfully and reflectively through this season.