Monday, May 16, 2016

Pentecost

Pentecost….  the Jewish Feast of First Fruits. But also, the day the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus’s disciples and the church began.

The church of which we are members celebrated today by joining with a church in the nearby city of Goshogawara for special meetings.

The reading was from Mark 10:32-45, and the speaker spoke on verses 42-45:  …. whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

It was good, really good. And very much what we have been thinking – The values of the Kingdom of God are very, very different than those of the world about us.

IMG_0630

I thought about this the other day as we walked along the river talking about sin and forgiveness.  My husband said something very profound,  “God sets the limit of forgiveness for each person wherever they set it.”

Where do you set the limits? 

Because God says, “…in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”  (Matthew 7:2)

People say “You brought this (what I am doing to you) on yourself (by doing what you did.)”

But God says something very different!

"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.” (Isaiah 43:25) 

"Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more." (Hebrews 10:17)

And the verse I thought of that day, “…her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."  (Luke 7:47)

Which brings me back to today’s meetings. Our speaker declined to define service for God as he was billed to do. Instead, he repeatedly emphasized its not what or how much we do for God that matters. Its our attitude that counts.

2016-04-24 16.29.37
And now as the day and this “Journey to Pentecost” draw to a close, I wonder what is my attitude?

No comments: