Monday, September 10, 2018

A Testimony from My Husband

I have been the pastor of Ajigasawa Church, under the auspices of the Japan Evangelical Church Association (JECA) since April 1rst of this year.

Two years ago, when we returned to Japan in a state of great uncertainty concerning our future, this was the one outcome we did not think was possible. But with the support  and sponsorship of Pastor Iwamatsu and Hirosaki Gospel Church, I was able to return to Ajigasawa Church in this new capacity.

As we no longer have regular support from overseas, and our church is unable to support us fully, I have to divide my time between ministry and part-time jobs. This is my greatest challenge at this time.

We are thankful to all of you who support us in prayer but I have to admit there are times when I wonder how we can carry on. I find I simply must do whatever is at hand to do, and remind myself that God has promised to provide. And, He does.

Still, being only too human, I often find myself wishing that he would provide AHEAD of time- say, a nice, fat surplus that would cover several months ahead- and once I start thinking that way, why not several years ahead, or  enough for the rest of our lives, or maybe twice that much just to be on the safe side, or… Well, once you go down that path, the sky’s the limit.

What do we need? Jesus said, enough for today. Oh me of little faith- I find that hard.

In August we were on vacation with family in cabins located 6 hours (by car) south of here. I was doing some carpentry on the side, and the days were busy. On August 7, I noticed my memo book, which I usually carry in my shirt pocket, was missing.

That was serious. It contained important information I had noted nowhere else, and ID related stuff I didn’t want falling into the wrong hands. We searched and asked for help and prayer and prayed that it would be kept intact, and safe. Here was a test of God’s willingness and ability to care for me.

Why should I doubt either of the above? God has protected and provided for me all my life. Why do I find it so hard to trust?

On the other hand, why didn’t God bring the memo book back into my hands promptly? Why make me wait?

Eighteen days passed. I was due to return to Ajigasawa in a few hours, and still no memo book. Doggedly I told myself that God would answer, one way or another. But, part of me was complaining, “God, why make me wait? What’s the point?”

I was dumping some food scraps in the compost heap at the foot of the hill as I prepared to leave. I reached down to grab a handful of grass clippings to cover it, and reached over farther than usual. I pulled out a handful, and the missing memo book popped out of the pile right under my nose.

I couldn’t have been more surprised if it had been a leprechaun.

Although the cover was molded a bit this was easily wiped clean, and days of rain had not harmed it otherwise.

2018-09-09 16.40.13

Why make me wait 18 days? Why bring it forth from such an unexpected place in such a dramatic way?

Because anything short of that my doubting heart would just count as coincidence, rather than what it was- a loving demonstration of My Father’s care and provision for me- the champion doubter.

I was deeply moved, and very excited. I want all of you to hear this testimony, and it’s sequel. The Enemy of our souls was right there a few days later, whispering to my all-to-human heart, “It was , after all, just a coincidence.”

He never gives up. God had to make me wait, and surprise me greatly, to give my doubting heart a demonstration so outlandish that I can resist that voice of doubt, and draw on the lesson learned in the days to come.

God does see us. He knows us. He knows our needs and burdens. And, He has promised to provide.

And He does.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God,

and his righteousness;

and all these things shall be added unto you.

Take therefore no thought for the morrow:

for the morrow shall take thought

for the things of itself.

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Matthew 6:33,34

No comments: