Thursday, September 14, 2006

First Impressions

Its been a LONG time since we arrived in Japan 27 years ago. My first impressions faded long ago. And, since I had a two year old and a baby and a very bad case of culture shock - two kids in diapers and no dryer! no car! no central heating! - I didn't have time for diary. So its kind of interesting to watch Joy.


Mary Elliot & Joyanne Baab

She's full of the same enthusiasm and purpose as I was 27 years ago. Just without the extra baggage and quite a few years younger. I was twenty-three turning twenty-four, married with two kids. Joy's seventeen going on eighteen.

She borrowed my camera two days after she got here and this is what she snapped with it. (It all looks very normal to me now! But I might have taken the same photos 27 years ago if I'd had email and a digital camera.)

Squid

Mary's the cook this year so we eat Japanese style most meals

Rice, miso soup and fish for breakfast

Take off your shoes!


You can't really see how deep the tub is in this photo.
(We had my favorite stainless steel tub
- until we discovered the foundation rot.)



Our Japanese toilet. (By choice!)


Straw mat (tatami) floors


Futon (bed) on the floor

(If any of Joy's family are reading this, she's now cleaned her room and packed away the suitcases.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Mom, I told you I'd start reading your blog when I left home, and now you know I'm really reading it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie!

Seeing those photos brings back some great memories! My time with you guys feels almost dim and distant because so much happened in between, but everytime I look at my photos or read your (and John's) blog I start to feel all なつかしい even though a year ago I had only arrived and was only starting!

I hope everything is going well for Joyanne and all of the Elliots are healthy and well!

Laurie Elliot said...

Hurray, Sarah! (BTW, we miss you!)

We miss you, too, John! Your dry little wise cracks always cheered up my day. :-)

I really enjoy having people move in with us... but sometimes its hard to let them go when its time for them to move on. Lots of good memories!

Anonymous said...

- To Joy:
Hehehe... Yup. It's a nice blog, indeed. Oh, take your room clean, and eat all the squids, okie (Oh, squid it's "lula" in Portuguese. And octopus it's "polvo"). Estou orando por você!
- To the Elliots:
Well, excuse me to post a comment without introduce myself... My name is Fernando, I'm a Joy's friend from Brazil. Please, take care of my best friend. May Our Lord bless you in all forever.

Laurie Elliot said...

Oh we'll take care of Joy alright! She's great!