Sunday, December 03, 2006

Fish for Breakfast

Yesterday I was thinking about the fact that I so seldom cover cultural issues in my blog and I was wondering why... I guess its because I just so seldom think of anything Japanese as being particularly extraordinary anymore.

For instance, I just don't think that fish and seaweed for breakfast is particularly odd. I'm not sure that I ever did - my particular branch of the family was known for its strange dietary habits - and its certainly not a problem to me now.

In fact, the only thing I thought odd about yesterday's breakfast (liver with onions, rice with sesame seeds, and miso soup with slimy mushrooms) was my daughter's strange predilection for vinegar. We usually flavor the liver with ginger but this time Mary used balsamic vinegar - her condiment of choice this week.

This morning for breakfast I munched whole wheat bread with pesto - on the run because I left for Morioka at 6 am - and I think that's pretty normal, too. (That is the bread with pesto is normal. Eating on the run is fortunately a RARE occurance in our household.)

No comments: