Wednesday, December 06, 2006

More Culture - I do notice things sometimes!

When Leta, Mary and Sarah were born I had complete freedom to nurse them where ever and whenever I pleased. In fact, even though I nursed them in public, most older women thought I was being much too secretive about it. The women in question would often pull up my offending shirt with a reproachful "She'll smother!"

Japan has changed. Now, not only are there are special rooms for nursing mothers to retreat to - there are also sometimes signs instructing them that they had better retreat!

So I doubt if many people nowadays - besides nursing mothers! - really feel the impact of Psalm 131:2.

But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

A weaned child accepts many forms of comfort... a cuddle, a comforting word, a quick hug, a pat on the head, etc. An unweaned child wants only one comfort - and fusses till he gets it.

No comments: