Saturday, January 13, 2007

Selfishness - The Spirit of the Age

I finished "Sense & Sensibility" for the umpteenth time tonight - this time more for instruction than pleasure.

Joy on the other hand is just beginning it for the first time and announced at the dinner table tonight that she would like to "punch out Willoughby". That made me smile. I have read the book so many times that I have long ceased to think of Willoughby with any sort of passion. Only sadness...

Elinor's description of him embodies for me the spirit of this age when it comes to male-female relationships: "The whole of his behaviour, from the beginning to the end of the affair, has been grounded in selfishness.... At present he regrets what he has done. And why does he regret it? Because he finds it has not answered toward himself. It has not made him happy."

No comments: