Friday, February 09, 2007

Crazy Speculations a la Prince Henry

Joy likes to speculate... What if ... Do you suppose... I'm afraid I'm often guilty of tuning out these conversations!

The other day, however, as we watched "Ever After" for the umpteenth time, Prince Henry's philosophical gymnastics triggered something in my mind and I wandered off on some strange speculations of my own.

Daughter # 3 has prayed for her (yet) future husband's spiritual growth ever since she was a little girl. In Junior High, after listening to her (male) peers' conversation she also started praying for his purity.

So my question is, if there is more than one possibility for a marriage partner, are they all presently under the protection of my daughter's prayers? What happens when she marries - do the rest of them lose that protection?


First Day of Junior High

Joy seems to enjoy this kind of speculation but I must confess it makes me feel kind of dizzy and confused.

I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.
But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

-- Psalm 131:1,2

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I always assumed that God knew the one I was going to marry and so all my prayers were reserved for that one person.

P.S. and i'm not a calvanist, either

Laurie Elliot said...

You're probably right, Sarah. But its too "wonderful" for me.

My silly speculations were actually a little more complicated than the bit I wrote in my blog. But I don't think we are meant to figure these things out.

Matthew Celestine said...

A lot of Christians think of God's will being a specifically planned set of circumstances and events. Some theologies would support that view.

While God knows who Mary will marry, I am of the opinion that God may not have necessarilly determined that outcome. but may have allowed her room for decision-making. You might take a different view of God's sovereignty.

How that fits in with the answer to her prayer for her future husband is a difficult question. It is probably best to leave Him to deal with those matters.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Anonymous said...

Thanbks Laurie & John for your gift of hospitaility and taking such good care of Joyanne. It's been a pleasure to track your ministry and her adventure. Wish her well on our behalf and I pray our paths cross somehow so we can hear first hand of her time in Japan.

Wayne Matthews
OMF Canada