Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Question You Had Better Not Ask!

"How was the Valentine Lunch on Saturday?" And then, the inevitable next question - the one you had better not ask: "How many people did you have?" In fact, I know some people who start with the "How many?"!

Years ago ago I always dutifully answered the question... then I started being evasive - even for events with impressive numbers. Somehow the emphasis seems wrong. What about: "What was the message?" and "What was the response?"; "Any good conversations afterward?"

Or even: "Anybody new or exciting?" or "Do you feel you hit your target group?"; "Were there many non-Christians?"; "Did anybody bring their friends?"


Count them yourself

(One girl had already left and the photographer isn't in the photo.)

No, we didn't have as many people as at the KGK Christmas party. (At Christmas there were 20 kids from the A Capela Circle alone!) But this party was way more satisfying for me.


Good Food


Good Program


Good Fellowship



Some of my friends came


Nobody wanted to go home

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to hold up my hands and say I often ask how many were at something... But oddly it isn't restricted to evangelism events, but I ask how many turned up for football, or went to the cinema on Saturday... With parties and events I especially am interested...

I think my wanting to know is more to do with knowing if I missed anything and if it was popular to be there. In fact come to think about it its probably more wondering if I am in the bigger crowd or have missed something that everyone else got to experience... More to do with the popularity than the effectiveness... which may be the wrong attitude, but rest assured, its not to ascertain the successfullness of it or the organisers...

This is possibly rivalling the length of your actual blog itself, so I'm gonna stop now!

Laurie Elliot said...

Your comment reminded me of how anti-social our family is - Sarah actually leaves the party if there are more than a handful there and the rest of us drift to the corners to find the wall-flowers - and while I was thinking about all this, we got busy again. (Not hard in this family!)

But now that I'm back it occurs to me that I also can't "feel" numbers... When I go to places famous for their hordes I often wonder what the fuss was about. For instance, I never feel there are that many people at Itayanagi Church by the time I get there and I'm still wondering if I've ever been in Tokyo at rush hour. But the killer is that when I was in China my overwhelming impression was, "Where did everybody go?!"

I guess I'm just a little weird - but you already know that. :-)