Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Palm Sunday Reflections

Palm Sunday we always have a hen cake on the front table during the service. It reminds us of Jesus' words as he looked over Jerusalem:

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing. Look, your house is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, `Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.' " (Matthew 23:37; Luke 13:34)



Palm Sunday - Hen Cake

This year Mary put the hen on a nest which really brought the words home to me because it reminded me of my son Luke's hen (long ago) with the little chicks peeping out from under her wings.

I thought of Jesus' words again yesterday as first one young man and later another talked to me about Gandhi - such a great man - but as both young men pointed out in their own way, a man who wanted to trust in his own righteousness.

The pathos of those words, "but you were not willing."

No comments: