Friday, May 18, 2007

So beautiful it hurts...

Often on my way home from Hirosaki late in the afternoon Mount Iwaki is so beautiful it nearly takes my breath away. So today on the way home I stopped to take a photo of the sunset. Of course, photos never really capture the reality...


Sunset on Mt. Iwaki

A few minutes later my cell phone rang and just as I pulled over to take the call the clouds began to to wisp and swirl. For the next 10 minutes or so the "show" was so beautiful my chest literally ached. (Music is like that, too, especially Baroque... I can feel it in my body. )

Watching the display I thought of how God paints the sunset new every evening and I remembered again Ray Bradbury's words:

"There's no use having a universe, a cosmology, if you don't have witnesses. We are the witnesses to the miracle. We are put here by creation, by God... We're here to be the audience to the magnificent. "

1 comment:

John Elliot said...

I wish we were better photographers, so we could let people see just how beautiful the scenery around here is.