Saturday, March 01, 2008

Expect the best, prepare for the worst

I sometimes wonder how I will cope without my computer if our house burns down or my computer gets smashed in a car crash. Worst case scenarioes that I quickly put out of my mind. Of course I didn't prepare for the likeliest event - my computer crashing!

My beautiful new computer

Sigh...

Lately I've been reading reading in Genesis - finished last night - and when I read again the story of Abraham sending his servant to find a wife for Isaac it struck me that we so often do it all backwards. We expect the worst and don't prepare at all. (Or strangely, for the good we don't expect to happen.)

In my notebook I've written:

Abraham expected the best - " The Lord before whom I have walked, will send his angel with you and make your journey a success." And yet he prepared for the worst - "...if they refuse to give her to you - you will be released from my oath."

No comments: