Saturday, July 18, 2009

All the Hymns of Christendom?

Last Sunday night during the English Fellowship meeting at Hirosaki Church the young man next to me asked me a most peculiar question... He asked if the hymnbook we were using contained all the songs of the Christian Church. I told him that not only was it not the sum total but that it didn't even comprehend a fraction of the sum, in fact it didn't even really touch on all the styles of Christian hymnody through the ages.

Which brings me to another point... later in the week a remark was made that reminded me of the strange rumor that I only like old hymns. Not so. I love many kinds of music. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the repertoire of "hymns and spiritual songs" that I sing is wider than my detractor's...

Life Line Ralley - Ajigasawa July 4, 2009

These young ladies were not singing the ancient hymns - which I also love - but every song touched my heart.

No comments: