Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sanity at Christmas

It's Boxing Day - a holiday I never heard of until I married a Canadian - and I have been cleaning (a bit) and putting away the Advent Candles. My husband, in the meantime, is preparing for the Winter English Camp which starts tomorrow night.

I love Advent Candles. Perhaps its just because I'm a pyromaniac at heart. But I think its more because they keep us sane in a season which often seems to have come loose from its moorings.

This year we read John Gresham's "Skipping Christmas". Its not my favorite Christmas story but it helps us keep perspective. While other people fill their holidays with materialism, missionaries tend fill their holidays with meetings and stretch themselves to the limit... So much so that I sometimes rebel and need to be reminded not to "throw the baby out with the bath water."

John reading "Skipping Christmas" to us

Either way - too much Christmas spirit or too little - I need the time with the candles every night to regain perspective. And I think I did.

We had a good Christmas this year... I hope you did, too.

2 comments:

Willardsdaughter said...

So - what is Boxing Day, and how do people celebrate it? :-)

Laurie Elliot said...

I believe that most people now celebrate Boxing Day by shopping or - if they are smart - by staying at home to watch tv or read...

But traditionally it was a day for " giving money and other gifts to charitable institutions, the needy and people in service positions. "