Saturday, March 13, 2010

Our lives can change with every breath we take

My husband has been talking for several years about what he calls the "Wal-Mart Baby" movie so I finally watched it a couple of weeks ago. It was good! Then I borrowed the book from a friend. (Its actually called "Where the Heart is.") The book was better. Way better!

Last week we we watched the movie again. What a contrast! This time it felt like one of those 30 second bunny movies. (My husband's favorite is "Titanic in 30 Seconds".) Ridiculous! All of my favorite parts were missing. Except this scene:
"But Novalee, what am I going to say to [my children] when they ask me why this happened to them? What will I say?"

"Tell them that our lives can change with every breath we take. Lord, we both know that. Tell them to let go of what's gone because men like Roger Briscoe never win. And tell them to hold on like hell to what they've got - each other, and a mother who would die for them, and almost did."

... "Then tell them we've all got meanness in us... "

.... "But tell them we have some goodness in us, too. And the only thing worth living for is the good. That's why we've got to make sure we pass it on."

No comments: