Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The First Sunday of Lent 2012

Lent candles (1)

Yesterday was the first Sunday of Lent. My husband is doing the “I AM” passages from John in random (or, rather, his own) order again this year.

So yesterday we meditated on “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

The way… that sounds so good right now when our way is so unclear.

We still need someone who will love our animals and fill the pulpit (two pulpits actually) here in Japan and we still don’t have a car in North America.

Irene Webster Smith love the Syriac version of Proverbs 4:12: “As thou goest the way shall be opened up for you step-by-step.” 

“As thou goest” is the word I’m clinging to just now.

Last night we sang the that wonderful Easter hymn “Come Ye Faithful Raise the Strain”   ..God hath brought forth Israel into joy from sadness; Loosed from Pharaoh’s bitter yoke Jacob’s sons and daughters, Led them with unmoistened foot through the Red Sea waters.

Moses leading Israel through the Red Sea is a truly a wonderful  story. But, as I pointed out last night, sometimes we do have to get our feet wet! Remember that later when Israel crossed the Jordan the river didn’t stop flowing until the priests stepped in the water.

So we go forward. I fly east to New York on Thursday. Heading to Toronto.

No comments: