Saturday, March 31, 2012

# 32 Chesterton, St. Paul …. & a Vision of Christ

06.06.04.Ellington-BergeronKids (3)

“And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than look down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow.”

― G.K. Chesterton

I saw this on Facebook yesterday and I wondered which of his books its from because today I felt the need of a little Chestertonian perspective on life! After Googling it I’m still wondering. Apparently its one of those things everyone likes to quote – with no context.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m having a perfectly lovely time here… but the bum knee, no car and uncertainty about when son and family will be able to return to Japan somehow all closed in on me today.

At Morning Prayers the New Testament reading was 2 Corinthians 4. A few tears rolled down my cheeks as I heard the words:

“Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart… We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. “

We do not lose heart!

Tonight at Evening Prayers we sang my husband’s favorite hymn, Be Thou My Vision.

Yes, we are only jars of clay, BUT we hold a great treasure:  “the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ.”

No comments: