Friday, February 22, 2013

Blessing # 7– Warm Meals

My husband was using my computer so I ended the first day of the JEMA Writer’s Workshop chatting with a friend instead of writing. Everything is quiet now and I should  probably crawl into bed before I freeze! 

The seminary where we are meeting is set on a hill where the wind whistles almost cruelly at times. And it reminds me that being clean, warm and well-fed is basic – and that a person who keeps those in their care clean, warm and well-fed is doing something IMPORTANT.

Feeding the homeless is good. Exercising hospitality is good. But let’s not forget that that the Bible also says that

“Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”  - 1Tim 5:8

Strong words, but perhaps necessary in a world where so many things seem to be deemed  “more important” than caring for basic needs, especially the basic needs of children (and the elderly.)

A hot meal in Jesus name… that’s a worthy task, that’s love.

untitled

No comments: