Sunday, February 07, 2016

The weakest believer is built on a rock

For my husband’s commissioning service last summer I bought him a Psalter, The Book of Psalms for Worship:  the hymnal used at the church we attend in Almonte, Ontario when stopping at our daughter’s home.

I bought one for myself on my birthday!

There is something amazing about singing psalms – I can’t put words around it tonight. But it has changed our lives. Just like reading them in a monthly cycle has…  We think differently.

And my husband sings!  I sometimes come into a room and find him singing by himself! This is a new (and astounding) thing under the sun.

Of course we sing together, too.

Tonight we were trying to figure out the tune to Psalm 104 E.  Hanover – it sounded so familiar! We tried Cyber Hymnal without success, and then Hymnary. And that’s when it twigged – Ye Servants of God, Your Master Proclaim. Such a good hymn!

But tonight I noticed the history:  “In the midst of these persecutions they published a pamphlet containing thirty-three pieces and entitled Hymns for Times of Trouble and Persecution, 1744. This hymn was first published in that pamphlet.”

This was a hymn to give courage in times of trouble. To strengthen weak knees. So we sang it. And the third verse, new to me, really caught my attention:

When devils engage, the billows arise,
And horribly rage, and threaten the skies:
Their fury shall never our steadfastness shock,
The weakest believer is built on a rock.
“The weakest believer is built on a rock” ….

Yes! Built on The Rock! Jesus Christ our foundation.

… a rock of refuge. (Psalm 7:3)

The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity. (Deuteronomy 32:4)

He alone is MY ROCK and my salvation, my fortress. I shall not be greatly shaken. (Psalm 62:2)


No comments: