Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Beautiful Thought

My husband is a farmer’s son. He looks looks at bare dirt and sees the harvests past and the harvests to come.

I on the other hand look at dirt – and see barrenness. There’s nothing there! And I don’t like it. Maybe this is because my mother mulched. In her BEAUTIFUL gardens I don’t remember even the hint of bare dirt.

Perhaps that’s why to find any beauty in dirt today was a bit of a challenge at first.

2016-07-23 15.45.55

I took this photo of a fallow field next door to our son’s house. But I wasn’t sure what to say.  I didn’t quite know how to find the beauty in all that bare dirt.

Until I remembered this:

When a farmer plows for planting,

does he plow continually?

Does he keep on breaking up and working the soil?

When he has leveled the surface,

does he not sow caraway and scatter cumin?

Does he not plant wheat in its place,

barley in its plot,

and spelt in its field?

His God instructs him and teaches him the right way.

 

Caraway is not threshed with a sledge,

nor is the wheel of a cart rolled over cumin;

caraway is beaten out with a rod,

and cumin with a stick.

Grain must be ground to make bread;

so one does not go on threshing it forever.

The wheels of a threshing cart may be rolled over it,

but one does not use horses to grind grain.

All this also comes from the LORD Almighty,

whose plan is wonderful,

whose wisdom is magnificent.

- Isaiah 28:24-29

Does the farmer plow the dirt continually? Is grain threshed forever? Does God’s judgment continue indefinitely?

No! It does not!

God tells those He judges, “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

Surely He will make us fruitful again.

Now that is a BEAUTIFUL thought!

No comments: