Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Lenten Candles


I just discovered that I did NOT invent Lenten candles - I just seriously revised the custom in my ignorance. Apparently you're supposed to extinguish a candle each week instead of lighting a new one. "Just as the Lenten season reminds the Christian of Christ's journey to the cross, the seven candles and the weekly extinguishing of each one enhances that long, soon-to-be dark journey. When the last candle is extinguished and the darkness seems to be all-consuming, worshipers will feel the darkness of the soul at the time of Christ's crucifixion."

At Christianbook.com they even sell the purple candles with one pink (we use purple candles with one white) and a cross holder (our holder is a lily).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what do you know?! Wonders never cease. You'll stick with our tradition though, won't you? Much as the other one is very lent like.

Laurie Elliot said...

I don't know, Mary, the pull in that direction is pretty strong. And I almost ordered the book on the spot. And the candles! No more searching every 100 yen shop in the Tsugaru for those elusive purple candles!

John Elliot said...

Oh, boy... how are we going to get our church members used to this way of doing things?
The explination of this tradition is good, so maybe it will fly...

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, mom, at the Anglican church we also LIGHT a candle each week, not extinguish . . . although, I think that its pink and purple, not white and purple . . . and its just a wreath, not a cross or lilly or anything fancy like that . . .

Luke and Yuko ELLIOT said...

Do the people who extinguish a candle each week light them all up again on Easter? I think I like the lily candle holder better, although I guess a pink instead of a white candle would be fine.

Laurie Elliot said...

I would like that - extinguish them one by one and then light them all on Easter. But I'm under the impression that they only light the pink candle on Easter.

The review refers to "Easter Sunday, during which a Paschal candle is lighted." I wonder if any one we actually know goes to a church where they use Lenten candles? ? ?

Lori said...

We extinguish the candles at our church in Kitchener, Ontario Canada. Hope all is well where you are in Japan.