Saturday, March 24, 2012

# 26 Stories of grace

Our son, heavily influenced by Martin Luther’s Bondage of the Will and later Reformation theology, named his eldest daughter Grace.

2012-03-22 2-026

When she was small we used to sing all “the grace hymns” to her … Marvelous Grace, etc. There are a lot of hymns about God’s grace but I suppose most everyone’s favorite is Amazing Grace.

I love the third verse:

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

Hebrews 11 tells us of some amazing people who endured great “dangers, toils and snares.”  And then chapter 12 begins:

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.”

Ever since I was a little girl (like Grace) I have loved to listen to the stories of those who have gone before me. Their stories are rich with wisdom and encouragement.

No comments: